NICOLE THONG XIAO YING
Nicole Thong Xiao Ying
“Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier.” – Mother Teresa
Nicole graduated from the University of Leicester, United Kingdom in 2018 and was admitted as an Advocate and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore in May 2021.
- Advocate and Solicitor (Singapore), 2021
- LL.B (Hons) (University of Leicester – UK), 2018
- Certificate in International Business Mandarin – Comprehensive Intermediate issued by Hanban / Confucius Institute Headquarters
- Member of the Law Society of Singapore
- Member of the Singapore Academy of Law
Nicole joined the firm as an intern, a Relevant Legal Trainee, Practice Trainee and thereafter an Associate lawyer upon being called to the Bar.
Nicole has had the valuable opportunity to assist Ms Gloria James in hosting the Chinese lawyers during the Singapore-Shaanxi Study Visit Programme, a Ministry of Law initiative in 2018.
Nicole’s Family Law Experience
Nicole’s primary area of practice is in matrimonial law. At M/s Gloria James-Civetta & Co, Nicole undertakes and assists in contentious and non-contentious family matters involving local and expatriate clients under the supervision and guidance of Ms Gloria James.
The scope of matters that Nicole has assisted Ms Gloria James include the following:
- Conducting research for different points of law pertaining to Family Law
- Preparing and Conducting mediations at the Singapore Family Justice Courts / Singapore Mediation Centre / private mediations
- Preparing and Conducting Without Prejudice Meetings
- Applications relating to custody, care and control of the Child
- Contested Variation proceedings
- Contested Stay proceedings
- Contested Ancillary Matters
- Contested Relocation Applications
- Maintenance proceedings
- Interlocutory Applications
- Personal Protection Order Applications
- Appeal proceedings in the High Court
- Drafting of Pre-Nuptial / Post-Nuptial / Marital Agreements
- Drafting of simplified divorce papers
- Annulment Proceedings
- Child Representative
Nicole has also learnt and honed the following skills under the guidance of Ms Gloria James when handling a family matter:
- Client care
- Oral advocacy including mediation and negotiation techniques
- Strategising a case
Nicole’s Criminal Law Experience
During her training in the firm, Nicole had assisted Ms Gloria James in several criminal matters including conducting research, preparing for Court mentions and drafting of letter of representations.
Outside of her legal practice, Nicole is an avid tennis player with a strong double backhand.