A CORONER’S INQUEST is held in attempt to determine the circumstances in which the deceased has died. The Hearing is presided over by a Judge of the Subordinate Courts and assisted by State Counsel. An inquiry is held where the deceased has had a sudden, violent or unnatural death or where the state requires an inquiry. GJC Law and a team of lawyers were involved in the high profile case of an American Engineer. The case attracted worldwide attention and was reported widely by the media, particularly by media giants CBS, BBC, CNA, AFP and Reuters. Another international case handled by GJC Lawyers was that of a American citizen who fell off the 60th storey of the Swissotel Hotel, Singapore.
GJC LAWYERS – CORONER’S INQUEST REPRESENTATION
GJC Law can represent the Next-of-Kin (NoK) in court and can assist in the following areas:
- Interviewing witnesses
- Preparing conditioned statements of NoK’s witnesses
- Attending mentions and the inquiry
- Preparing the getting-up and asking questions in the fact-finding inquiry
- Visiting the site ie, scene of incident; and
- Exploring possible claims that follow from the inquests.