How do I Obtain Letters of Administration?
You would need to obtain letters of administration if the deceased had not left behind a will.
Several documents have to be prepared when filing for letters of administration:
– The Statement (in Form 172(b))
– Paragraph 3 of Form 172(b) should contain the following particulars of the deceased:
i. Country of which he was a citizen
ii. Religion of the deceased – for Muslims, also indicate his Mazhab
iii. Marital status of the deceased
iv. Enumeration of persons surviving the deceased – a disclosure of all persons entitled to any part of the estate is required. For children, the name, sex, age or date of birth of the child should be disclosed
– Whether there are any beneficiaries under the age of 21. If there are such beneficiaries, state name, age and size of interest (i.e. percentage that they would be receiving)
– Certified true copy of the death certificate
– Copies of the Schedule of Assets listing the property comprising the estate of the deceased
– Inheritance certificate from the Syariah court for Muslims domiciled in Singapore
– Renunciations (if necessary)
– Certificate in Form 173
Who may apply for letters of administration?
Persons with larger shares will have a prior right to apply for a grant in comparison to persons with smaller shares, because the person with the larger share will have a greater interest in seeing that the estate is properly administered.
Persons entitled to equal shares of the estate will have an equal right
How do I know how big are each person’s shares?
If you are a Muslim, the shares will be determined in accordance with the Syariah Laws.
Do also note that bankrupts are not entitled to be appointed as an administrator, executor or trustee of an estate. Also, only a maximum of four persons may be appointed as administrators.
What happens if there are beneficiaries under the estate who are below the age of 21?
If there are minors (i.e. persons under the age of 21) entitled to a share of the estate, at least two individuals or a trust corporation must be given the grant.